Tuesday, May 19, 2009

New Leg on Life for All Amputees

Fell Down Flight of Stairs- Leg at the Top. Me at the Bottom.

This is a story of Diane Johnston.

Born with a partially developed left leg, Diane was fitted with many prosthetic legs over the years. Because of the design and adjustment time, she had her fair share of stumbles and tumbles. "This past October I fell down a flight of stairs. My leg was still at the top of the stairs…I landed at the bottom, "said Diane. Doctors told her she needed a computerized leg to ensure stability so that she wouldn't fall. Unfortunately, her insurance didn’t cover it.

Limbs of Love fit Diane with $50,000 computerized leg, "the Lexus of prosthetic limbs". This state-of-the-art wonder has a microprocessor in the knew that uses hydraulics to keep her from stumbling. It's the same technology that is currently being used on soldiers who lost their limbs in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Diane recalled the first time she began walking using her high-tech leg with one word: awkward. “Walking with two legs was and is a learning curve,” she said with a laugh in her voice, “but I’ve been told I’m doing just fine!” Each night, she charges her leg for 8 hours and gets around with a cane for the time being. The Amputee and Prosthetics Center believes that she will be walking with ease within two months.

Because of Diane's story and the work of Limbs of Love, the Amputee Coalition of America, and advocates across Texas Governor Rick Perry signed House Bill 806 into law on May 1 to provide minimum coverage for amputees equal to Medicare on the state level.

“I believe Texas is one of a handful of states that will pass this bill, and Joe Sansone and I would like to see this happen nationwide,” said Diane. “If Limbs of Love ever needs my help again, I would most certainly be there to share my story and offer my support.”

It may have taken 60 years and several trial and errors with other prosthetic legs, but with Limbs of Love’s generosity Diane Johnston can finally begin to walk with confidence, not only for herself but for all amputees in need of prosthetic devices.

Check out the KHOU's story about Diane.

No comments:

Post a Comment