Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Amputees in Action: Another Success!


If you had asked me what sled hockey was two weeks ago, I probably would have given you a funny look and wondered what the heck you were talking about. OK, well not exactly, I have to give myself a little more credit than that, but you get my drift.

Today if you even mentioned sled hockey, I'd say "Just tell me when and where!"

If you're wondering what changed between then and now I'll tell you: it was the Amputees on Ice event hosted by Amputees in Action!

Last Saturday, Amputees in Action joined STAR Skaters for a brief support group meeting and an afternoon of sled hockey. I know we often cringe at the term "support group" due to the negative connotations associated with the term, but this was anything but your typical "support group."

Joe Sansone started off the meeting informing attendees about prosthetic parity and how amputees will be affected in the upcoming months. Peer Visitor Jody Graham then spoke on facing fears and overcoming challenges as an amputee. She shared her story of triumph and encouraged the group to push themselves to see what their bodies are capable of.

Now I have to be honest, when I first saw the STAR Skaters, they looked a little more experienced at playing ice hockey, than, oh, I don't know, say our group (minus Ryan Stelck). I was somewhat hesitant about getting on the ice with them and had a feeling a few others in attendance might have been feeling the same way I was.

After Jody finished her speech, challenging each individual to push themselves instead of sitting back and coasting through life, everyone in the room was inspired to put their bodies to the test. One of our patients, Kevin, spoke out saying he had no intentions of getting on the ice that day, but after hearing Jody's talking "how could [he] not."

Ten minutes later Kevin was on the ice, challenging himself and having the time of his life. In fact, he plans on joining the sled hockey team so he can play every weekend!

It was truly amazing to look out on the ice, seeing our patients (who were merely strangers the hour before) smiling and laughing as they overcame their fears and experienced a new found freedom on the ice with their friends they made through Amputees in Action.

As for our employees and their families, they too had a blast--just wait until you see the pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment